*Excuse me for a second while I channel my inner Oprah**
“You get a blog, and you get a blog, EVERYBODY GETS A BLOGGGG!!”
SERIOUSLY though, everybody, get a blog.
Blogging may have been dominated by stay-at-home moms and fashion-forward college students in the past, but it has quickly become an absolutely essential part of every successful content marketing strategy. Why? Well, today’s consumers demand more than simply lower prices or catchy slogans — they want to make a connection. And while social media is great for grabbing attention and creating a following, a blog is where consumers will truly get to know (and love) your brand.
In my humble (and completely unbiased) opinion, the reasons to blog are absolutely endless, but here are the top five reasons your brand needs to hop on the blogging bandwagon:
- Builds Brand Awareness: There’s no skirting around the fact that branding is one of the foundations of business. Creating a brand helps you to differentiate your company from all the other ones out there. It helps you communicate who you are, what you stand for, and how you can help your customers. Although you can build brand awareness on social media, it will only go so far if your website’s content doesn’t match up. Creating useful, engaging content for your consumer base helps your brand stand out from the rest. What’s even better is that the content you post on your blog can be recycled over and over again on different social media channels, in e-newsletters and so on. It’s the content marketing gift that keeps on giving.
- Positions Your Brand as Thought Leader: The best way to build brand credibility is to establish your brand as a thought leader in your field. You need to convince consumers that you know your stuff if you want them to trust your products and ultimately your brand. Creating quality content that is relevant and useful helps you do this by communicating your expertise and boosting your legitimacy in the eyes of the consumer.
- Creates A Community: Social media is supposed to be all about community, but it can be hard to cut through all of the clutter. Blogging provides a space for your brand to interact directly with your consumers, build relationships, and garner that coveted brand loyalty.
- Increases Traffic & Visibility: Each time you publish a blog post you’re creating traffic to your website. Whether it’s through a link you post on social media or send out in an e-newsletter, sharing a post gives customers an excuse to visit your website (and once there they might even make a purchase). Consistently publishing new content also improves your visibility on search engines, which can organically increase your traffic as well. It’s a win-win-win.
- Your Competition is Already Doing It: In today’s marketing landscape, it’s more than likely that your competition is already blogging, so if your brand isn’t you’re not measuring up. Don’t fall behind simply because you’re too busy or don’t know how to blog — contact me and I can do it for you 😉
Blogging for business is absolutely essential for the success of a company, particularly small business and startups. It’s the most cost-effective way to build brand awareness, create buzz, and connect with your customers. That being said, you can’t just post any content, quality wins over quantity every single time — but more on that next week.